Re: What is the future of MariaDB

Good questions and discussion.

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:00 AM, MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The content in that URL states that MPAB employees have shared
> copyright on their contributions. I assume that MPAB has shared
> copyright on all contributions. Couldn't someone buy MPAB to get shard
> copyright to all contributions and the MariaDB trademarks?
>
> I don't question your intent but I don't see how MPAB cannot be sold
> or would not have value.

Timour already gave a good answer, so just to add. Regarding the code
it's not a big deal. Owning copyright to a patch/delta against MySQL
cannot be very interesting. Regarding trademarks you make a valid
point though. If MariaDB trademark was sold, I don't know if I have
the energy to start over with yet another name.

What is absent from Monty's answer is that we are also doing our best
in opening up the project so that long term it shouldn't matter what
happens to MPAB. To get there, we need to get many more contributors
from many more companies.

henrik

--
email: henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx