Re: client library shared library version changed in 5.5.10

"Vladislav Vaintroub" <wlad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> For 5.5  the discussion starts here http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=59078
> ([9 Feb 2:26] Clint Byrum, IIRC he works for Debian). His argument that ABI
> has changed "dramatically" is  that for example an exported symbol named
> TERMINATE has  gone, while new symbols PSI_hook and PSI_server were added.
> He uses "nm" for his argumentation.

I think you misread him. His main argument I think is that a program
compiled/linked against the 5.1 version of libmysqlclient does not work with
the 5.5 version of the library. This breaks established standards for how Unix
.so version numbering works with respect to compatibility, where same major
version number implies backwards compatibility.

It's sad if we introduced binary incompatibility only due to accidentally
building in a different way... however, I fear that if now MySQL/Oracle
already decided to bump the major version number, then it will only cause even
more confusion if we did something different in MariaDB...

 - Kristian.