Re: Trouble installing MariaDB 5.5 on Ubuntu 12.04 (& 12.10)

Forgot to mention:

A bug report related to this issue is here:

https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-3882

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 13:03:35 -0500
Daniel Bartholomew <dbart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:05:22 -0500
Aaron Anderson <anderson.aaron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Aaron> Gang,
Aaron>
Aaron> I've installed MariaDB on several Debian/Ubuntu systems
Aaron> in the past few months, without any issues.
Aaron>
Aaron> ~2 days ago on an Unbuntu 12.10 system did an apt-get
Aaron> update/upgrade/dist-upgrade. I believe that MariaDB was
Aaron> updated in that process. After the updates, mysql was
Aaron> "gone" My apps couldn't find it, it wasn't running, etc.
Aaron> I was in a hurry so I had to fall back to the standard
Aaron> mysql package so not a lot of into there.
Aaron>
Aaron> I built a new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server, added the Maria
Aaron> repo, did an apt-get update/ugprade/dist-upgrade.
Aaron> Rebooted.
Aaron>
Aaron>
Aaron> Here's some output... I'm stuck in this loop.

Daniel> <snip>
Daniel>
Daniel> The issue is that Ubuntu recently updated its MySQL packages to
Daniel> 5.5.29. This is messing up dependency resolution and apt-get is
Daniel> giving up.
Daniel>
Daniel> Here's an apt-get line that should allow you to install MariaDB
Daniel> (split into multiple lines for the email):
Daniel>
Daniel> apt-get install mariadb-server-5.5 mariadb-client-5.5 \
Daniel>   mariadb-server-core-5.5 mariadb-common mariadb-server \
Daniel>   libmariadbclient18 libdbd-mysql-perl mariadb-client-core-5.5 \
Daniel>   libmysqlclient18=5.5.28-mariadb-a1~precise \
Daniel>   mysql-common=5.5.28-mariadb-a1~precise
Daniel>
Daniel> For the last two packages I'm just specifying the MariaDB
Daniel> version of the two packages that are causing the installation
Daniel> problems. You might not need to specify all of the packages I
Daniel> specify above, but it was easier to do so than to guess at
Daniel> which specific packages to list.
Daniel>
Daniel> An "apt-get dist-upgrade" will cause problems with the above
Daniel> (it'll try to upgrade libmysqlclient18 and mysql-common) but
Daniel> this will let you get up and running until MariaDB 5.5.29 is
Daniel> released.
Daniel>
Daniel> Thanks.
Daniel>

--
Daniel Bartholomew
  Google+ - http://gplus.to/dbart

MariaDB: An Enhanced Drop-in Replacement for MySQL
        Website - http://mariadb.org
        Twitter - http://twitter.com/mariadb
        Google+ - http://google.com/+mariadb
       Facebook - http://fb.com/MariaDB.dbms