New Question: Migrating from MySQL 5.1.31-community >> MariaDB 5.5

Hello,

A new question has been asked in "Upgrading MariaDB" by flumpydog:
One of our internal development db servers is currently running MySQL 5.1.31-community on CentOS 5.9 as it suits are needs internally for testing only purposes of our sites. I would like to use this box to install and test MariaDB 5.5 on. What would be the best method to make this transition as smooth as possible? The MySQL rpm's are not the ones supplied by CentOS, but are from the MySQL site. Should I do a dump of all the databases on MySQL, remove all the MySQL rpm packages, install MariaDB 5.5 via yum and then do an import of the databases? Or will I have to install a prior release of MariaDB and upgrade from there?

Also, all the tables are currently using the MyISAM storage engine. Just so I will have the best experience here and while I am experimenting, what storage engine would you recommend we try, Ari or? Some of these tables contain in excess of a million rows. Is there anything I should be aware of before converting tables?

Thanks,
Chuck

To view or answer this question please visit: http://mariadb.com/kb/en/migrating-from-mysql-5131-community-mariadb-55/