Are queries queued when locking a table?

Hello,

Some backup tools make use of table locking to ensure data consistency
during the operation. I'm wondering about what happens to the incoming
queries for the table being locked.

Obviously, the request will be pending until the table is unlocked but
this way some timeout value may be reached. Another option could be to
accept and queue all requests and replay them once the table is
unlocked.

So can you tell me how MariaDB is handling such situation. Is the
second option (asynchronous request), can be activated within MariaDB?

Best,
Jimmy

Follow ups