Re: Are queries queued when locking a table?

Am 28.05.2014 15:43, schrieb Jimmy Thrasibule:
> Some backup tools make use of table locking to ensure data consistency
> during the operation. I'm wondering about what happens to the incoming
> queries for the table being locked.
>
> Obviously, the request will be pending until the table is unlocked but
> this way some timeout value may be reached. Another option could be to
> accept and queue all requests and replay them once the table is
> unlocked.
>
> So can you tell me how MariaDB is handling such situation. Is the
> second option (asynchronous request), can be activated within MariaDB?

you don't want that because what answer would the application
sending the query get?

OK, done?
what if the query fails?
what if the next would not happen after the first error?

if you can't live with locks for backups setup a replication
slave and make your backups from the slave, we are doing that
over years now by stop the slave, rsync the datadir over the
WAN and start the slave again which pulls the last changes
from the binlog