Re: Are queries queued when locking a table?

I think this is just handled by the setting of the variable
'lock_wait_timeout' :
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/server-system-variables.html#sysvar_lock_wait_timeout

But also you should  know 'innodb_lock_wait_timeout'
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-parameters.html#sysvar_innodb_lock_wait_timeout

It is true that some backup tools will LOCK (complete) tables. This applies
to some backup tools deployed on various hosting systems and integrated
into various 'Control Panel' applications  But IMO this just reflects that
the still think MySQL is == MyISAM (because wiht MyISAM etc. there is no
other way to ensure consistency).  With InnoDB you may 'backup in a single
transaction'. mysqldump (
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_single-transaction)
and also other tools support this (at least SQLyog/SJA does).