Galera Cluster: Do we need binlogs? How to limit the space used by binlogs?

Hello

We have quite a busy MariaDB operating in a Galera cluster.
The Size of the database is not that large, about 2GB.
We get several GB of Binlogs per day as we get a lot of transactions (busy
mailserver with Bayes DB and a lot of timestamps being updated)

I have set:
expire_logs_days        = 1

But still those binlogs 'waste' several dozends of GB on each node.

Does Galera need those logs for syncing?
Are there other ways to limit the size used by the binlogs?

Kind regards

Benoit Panizzon
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -