Re: New Question: MariaDB client/server (TCP) protocol

License does apply not to the *protocol as such*.  But license applies to
*the implementation of the protocol in code*, such as the C-API.

Oracle's API (and connectors) are GPL-licensed (or rather dual-licensed:
GPL or commercial)
MariaDB' s API and connectors are LGPL-licensed. See for instance
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/client-libraries/client-library-for-c/ "The
client library is LGPL licensed.".

MariaDB's C-API is based on the old MySQL C-API version 3.23 (that was also
LGPL licensed) with further developments independent of Oracle added to it.
We have been using it for several years now and were invovled in it from an
early stage (probably nobody filed as many bug reports as we did). I'd say
current state is 99% perfection (we still have 2 small issues with it)

The protocol is documented here
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/internals/en/client-server-protocol.html.  The
MariaDB API implements it with exceptions
* some old and obscure parameters to myql_options() have been omitted (at
least they were in the beginning - I am not sure if it is stll the case.
* no support for the Windows authentication protocol (that lets you login
to MySQL on Windows with your Windows authentication details)
* somewhat different implementation for the 'full-text pluin' (used for
LDAP authenticaton etc.)

-- Peter
-- Webyog (and thus this is not an official reply from MariaDB)