SHOW GRANTS: MySQL vs. MariaDB

Hi all,

	We have custom logic in place that “suspends” a MySQL user by:

- reversing the password hash
- replacing the leading “*” with “-”

In other words (pseudo-code):

my $hash = SELECT password FROM mysql.user WHERE user = 'theuser';
$hash = $hash.replace(/^\*/,"").reverse();
UPDATE mysql.user SET password = "-$hash" WHERE user = 'theuser';

I have noticed that MySQL’s SHOW GRANTS reports these “suspended” password hashes with the leading dash “fixed” to a leading asterisk.

MariaDB 10, though, has SHOW GRANTS report the literal contents of mysql.user.

Is this behavior by design in MariaDB 10? Is it behavior that we can depend on moving forward?

-FG

Follow ups