Re: will maria db overcome mysqls feature limitations? (foreign keys+triggers, recursive triggers)

Hi, Justin!

On Jul 19, Justin Swanhart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Foreign keys need support in SE to fix the first item.  Cascading
> operations don't work for triggers, but even worse, they don't work
> for RBR replication if a) storage engines differ on master and slave
> or b) the slave lacks the constraints.  This is because InnoDB does
> cascade operations internally, because the SE interface doesn't
> support foreign keys, thus the cascade operations only work on the
> slave if the SE matches and the constraints match.  This basically is
> a RBR/pseudo-SBR mix that simply doesn't work.

Right. My first idea was to add some kind of a callback for a storage
engine to inform the server about cascading operation. Then it could
fire a trigger.

We already can fire triggers for low-level row operations, this is used
in our "RBR triggers" feature:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/running-triggers-on-the-slave-for-row-based-events/

Regards,
Sergei