Re: ODBC.NET DOWNLOAD

Hello Rasmus,

There is only one excuse for doing this and that is to allow you to specifically direct your advertising at me and I object to that.

I do not want to live in a world where everything I read or am informed of is decided by you or anybody else.
I want to be able to decide what advertising I access, not have some self opinionated organisation decide what information I’m fed. No matter how good that organisation’s product is or isn’t.
By doing this you are no better than Microsoft or Google.

Whilst the ability to contribute to and to have a bit of an input into the direction of software development is a big attraction for open source it is the openness of open source that has provided the majority of the successes enjoyed by open source and the reason why many around the world such as myself have made the move from MS-SQL, Oracle, Sybase and MySQL, since taken over by Oracle, Etc… Etc…

MariaDB is a wonderful product and definitely one of the best databases in the world but by joining in on the wrong side of the specifically directed advertising war currently being perpetrated by the software giants you have removed all reasons for choosing MariaDB over the alternative options.

Just think about this …. If I had allowed myself to become restricted to advertising from Oracle I would never have heard about MariaDB in the first place.

I am involved with and contribute to a number of open source communities around the world but this is the only time I’ve been asked to sign up with a “Google” account.
The millions of people around the world involved in open source communities have two things in common.
                1.            A willingness to share and develop new ideas.
                2.            A desire to protect our right to freedom of thought.

To you, insisting on a Google or Google style “Account” before allowing downloads is a trivial, insignificant thing that you expect the majority of the world to blindly accept but to me it’s rude arrogance and a monumental and unacceptable invasion of my personal freedom. Not because you’re asking me to provide personal information but because of what you intend doing with that information.
You have destroyed the entire concept of open source.

It is entirely possible that I am the only person on the planet to think like this.     ------  But I doubt it.

Regards,
Bruce Carlson