max key length in import

I’m considering moving from MySql to MariaDB so I did a dump today and attempted an import.  It failed with the “Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes” error.  I dealt with this in MySql and knew to change file format to Barracuda.  I zapped the partial import, did a fresh mysql_install_db, restarted the service and tried again to no avail.  To confirm my settings immediately after the failure:

MariaDB [(none)]> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'innodb_file_%';
+--------------------------+-----------+
| Variable_name            | Value     |
| innodb_file_format       | Barracuda |
| innodb_file_format_check | ON        |
| innodb_file_format_max   | Barracuda |
| innodb_file_per_table    | ON        |

Does anyone have any suggestions?  The dump is 795M compressed so it’s difficult to find the exact place where the problem is (I used zcat for the import).  My distribution is:  10.0.22-MariaDB running on Ubuntu 15.04

Thanks in advance.

Follow ups