New Question: Why two versions (10.0 and 10.1)?

Hello,

--------------------------------
Hello,

We run a number of MariaDB v10.0.x installations for in-house projects, and I have only just realized that there's a v10.1.x version.
I have begun reading about the differences, and that there's an upgrade procedure.

Forgive the (likely) newb question, but was it totally necessary to create a new version of MariaDB for these changes? I mean, when 10.2 is released (and 10.3, 10.4 etc), is it going to be another whole new release with separate upgrade/versioning paths? Surely from a development management perspective this creates resource overheads for you?

Will v10.0 cease development in the near future, to be replaced by v10.1? I am trying to decide whether I just should upgrade our systems to v10.1.

Just wondering :)

Thank you!

Elliot

To view or answer this question please visit: http://mariadb.com/kb/en/why-two-versions-100-and-101/