Re: MariaDB Server 10.3 notes

Hi Sergei!

I moved this back to the mailing list, because of your .FRM explanation,
and also because I'd like to explain rasters.  A GIS raster is an array of
data represented as a raster image.  Rasters have "layers" and each layer
can have a different measurement in it.  It is most commonly used for
height maps.

The pgsql schema that I sent you is for a personal project of mine that
uses Voxel.js (http://voxeljs.com/) to turn real world height maps from the
space shuttle (SRTM v3 data) into interpolated 1 meter resolution voxel
(minecraft-like, as 1 block = 1 sq meter) landscapes.  I intersect the
raster data with the GIS data from OSM (open street map) so that I can
render buildings, roads, forest areas, rivers, etc, somewhat correctly
(overpasses, underhangs, and missing building heights cause significant
problems.).

The ST_PixelsAsCentroids or ST_PixelsAsPoints can be used to get the
specific value for a band in the raster, such as the height in a specific
30sq meter area (for the 1 arcsecond resolution of the SRTM data).

I could never do such a thing in MySQL, and that makes me sad :(