Re: MariaDB Server 10.3 notes

Hi all!

On 10/14/2016 11:10 AM, jocelyn fournier wrote:
Hi!

Regarding the TokuDB bugs, they are so far fixed quite quickly by
Percona.

I want to clarify the source of the question (FUD) about Percona not fixing TokuDB bugs, and hopefully bring it to an end. It apparently comes from me, saying so during the discussion at the meetup.

My impression was based on interaction with community bug reporters, which is one of my chores. We ask them to re-file TokuDB bugs to Percona, and then after a while they would tell me, via JIRA or otherwise, that there is no progress on the re-filed ticket. It happened several times at least, and given that TokuDB doesn't come up in our JIRA all that often, it did not seem to be negligible.

But then again, it happens to everyone that bugs get stalled, MariaDB is certainly no saint in this regard, either. Besides, I must admit that my statistics is biased, because I only hear from TokuDB reporters again when things don't go well, while success stories might well remain unnoticed by me. So, since involved parties confirm that there is in fact good progress, I readily retrieve my previous statement with due apologies to everyone who I unwillingly upset by it.

Regards,
Elena

https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-server/+bug/1607300 was investigated
and fixed in less than 10 days, and George answered the same day of the
bug report.

And hopefully, the latest remaining patch from Rich needed to enable
optimistic parallel replication will be merged quickly as well (
https://github.com/percona/PerconaFT/pull/360 ). The same is true for
the RFR patchs on the MariaDB side, (
https://github.com/MariaDB/server/pull/213 +
https://github.com/percona/percona-server/pull/1070 ) and the tokubackup
script ( https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-8843 ) ;)

As for the performance of TokuDB with concurrent read/write queries,
from my experience it depends if you try to read immediately the rows
which have just been inserted/updated or not. Is this case the messages
in the fractal tree have to be propagated and you loose the TokuDB speed
insert/update advantage, but they are still a few workload where TokuDB
is performing quite well.

Jocelyn Fournier
Founder
M : +33 6 51 21 54 10
https://www.softizy.com
Softizy - At your side to Optimize your PHP / MySQL applications