Re: Galera: jump through major versions at once

There's a typo in my email, see below.

William Edwards schreef op 2022-05-19 11:38:
Hello Daniel,

Daniel Black schreef op 2022-05-19 01:09:
William,

Recently a lot of testing was done on this
(https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-27437).

The general consensus seems to be: use rsync SST. This is the case.

From reading https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-28247 an upgrade to
10.3.35 might be required first (or an explicit disable of background
merge - if possible).

So sst=rsync is required with innodb_use_native_aio=0.

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/introduction-to-state-snapshot-transfers-ssts/#rsync-rsync_wan

The page says:

Use of this SST method could result in data corruption when using innodb_use_native_aio (the default) if the donor is older than MariaDB 10.3.35, MariaDB 10.4.25, MariaDB 10.5.16, MariaDB 10.6.8, or MariaDB 10.7.4; see MDEV-25975. Starting with those donor versions, wsrep_sst_method=rsync is a reliable way to upgrade the cluster to a newer major version.

So, I should either:

- Use MariaDB < 10.3.35 with sst=rsync and innodb_use_native_aio=0
- Use MariaDB > 10.3.35 with sst=rsync and any value for innodb_use_native_aio

MariaDB 10.3.35 is listed at
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-10335-release-notes/, but not at
https://mariadb.org/mariadb/all-releases/ and is not to be found in
the repositories. The release notes mention this:

Note: This page describes features in the source repository for MariaDB 10.3. There are currently no official packages or binaries available for download which contain the features. If you want to try out any of the new features described here you will need to get and compile the code yourself.

Why is this? Will the binaries be published later?

There's a task to upgrade the documentation, but I agree there are a
few gaps at the moment.

https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-28483

For future reference: this answers my other post to this mailing list
with the subject "Major upgrade instructions missing for Galera".

Are there any special steps for upgrading MariaDB 10.5 to 10.6?

I don't mean standalone MariaDB. I mean upgrading a Galera cluster with MariaDB 10.5 nodes to MariaDB 10.6. (As this page is missing from the documentation.)

Thanks so much for the useful information you have provided.

The reddit user
https://www.reddit.com/r/mariadb/comments/us7wbs/joining_node_to_galera_cluster_failed/
is attempting the same.