Re: Column named 'row_number' gives error in 10.11

Hi, Keith,

On Apr 02, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> > I can't say I'm impressed with a "patch" which eliminates something
> > like this from the list of reserved words.  They are, after all,
> > reserved for a reason.
>
> I'm not impressed that a point release introduces a reserved word that
> will undoubtedly clash with existing apps, but hey, we are where we
> are.

It was done in 10.7.1, part of the feature
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/get-diagnostics/#row_number

Every minor MariaDB release comes with new features, patch releases don't.

In this case, in particular, ROW_NUMBER is a reserved keyword according
to the SQL Standard (see the <reserved word> rule in the part 2). Using
reserved words as identifiers is generally discouraged, even if a
particular implementation allows that in a particular release.

Regards,
Sergei
VP of MariaDB Server Engineering
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx