Re: Grin's vulnerability disclosure and security process

---

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 4:23 PM,  <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Igno,
>
> I’ll preface this with the context that Grin is one of the most admirable
> crypto projects, and I haven’t contributed anything to date: this is only a
> suggestion from an enthusiastic observer.
>
> I think the current Code of Conduct embraces a mistaken zeitgeist,
> specifically sections like:
>
> And if someone takes issue with something you said or did, resist the urge
> to be defensive. Just stop doing what it was they complained about and
> apologize.
>

> This is the right approach to the vast majority of interactions, but
> codifying this rule explicitly, i.e. that I am responsible for another’s
> offense, will have a chilling effect on valuable conversations. For example,
> the Code of Conduct was offensive to Luke. Applying this standard woodenly,
> we would be required to stop working on it. Maybe if a less prominent
> contributor had proposed this change, Luke’s offense would have silenced
> them.
>
> Some principles are better held by individuals than enforced by law and
> turned into political weapons— I think a much shorter and simpler code of
> conduct would better serve this project in the long run.

 here's the thing, chris: ignatius has already spoken.... for all of
you.  he's clearly stated, "everyone is happy, has always been
happy".... so now if anyone says otherwise, it creates a serious
problem of confidence in the project.

 i've been at this a long time, and i have to say that i've not really
encountered quite so many systemic and ethical violations in one
"simple" reply, which is why i was able to conclude, even from just
this one reply of ignatius', that the project has about 6-18 months
left before other people start to notice what is clearly apparent to
someone with my experience in dealing with open source software.

 nobody has to like that: i'm just the messenger, you understand?

l.