mosquitto-dev team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #121930]: How many clients can be supported?

Question #121930 on mosquitto changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/mosquitto/+question/121930

Roger Light proposed the following answer:
I haven't done any testing that could be considered useful in this
regard. I've verified that mosquitto can have >1024 clients connected
and all publish, but it's difficult to test this in a realistic manner.

The maximum number of clients on a server will ultimately be limited by
the fact that there are at most 65535 ports available to each network
interface - and I believe this is also the hard upper limit on open
connections under Linux, meaning that using multiple network interfaces
wouldn't work.

You could get round this by using multiple brokers on separate machines
and bridging them together if necessary.

I've got no idea whether you'd get any useful performance with this kind
of user count of course!

Mosquitto Dev, which is an answer contact for mosquitto.