Re: [Ayatana] Solving the "user forgets about presentation mode" problem! (was Re: notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors)

First off, netbooks are not a fair use-case for this discussion.  The limitations of the form-factor may require entirely a different solution to common problems.  This much is apparent when comparing Ubuntu Desktop to Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Now, if you're watching a full-screen movie and waiting for an important notification, then I would think watching that movie full-screen isn't your best option.  Remember, these are transient notifications... there's no guarantee you'll notice it anyways.  If, for example, IM is your priority then you'll likely want your contact list or the Pidgin tray icon showing anyways.  Same goes for full-screen Firefox or monodevelop.  Are you waiting for a notification, or busy working with an application?  I admit, I'm proposing a trade-off between screen real-estate and the importance of a non-critical, transient notification.

In general, I realize that for some people, full-screening the application is not a fair "I'm busy" indicator, but for the wider user population I believe this does hold true.  Remember, the notifications we're referring to are transient, non-critical, peripheral information bits that the user can easily miss anyways.  They shouldn't represent a central part of the user's workflow.  If they are central to a user's workflow then notify-osd isn't the right solution.

We also have to weigh all this against the proposed alternative of additional configuration or a "presentation mode", and the pitfalls of that solution.  Users could forget to set presentation mode, miss the notification that reminds them to do so, forget to come out of presentation mode.  I think there are just too many ways for the wider population of users to misconfigure that system.  Just consider the case where one is in a hurry to setup for a presentation that is already starting late.  Will they really remember to set presentation mode?  If they glance away from the screen they might miss the reminder notification too.

For these reasons I think "full-screen = I'm busy" is a reasonable assumption.