Re: [Ayatana] Middle-click on indicators

On Thursday 15,April,2010 03:48 PM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> The following point has probably been raised before and beaten to death before,
>> but the time taken to aim for one application indicator icon, click for menu to
>> open, then aim *again* for the menu item needed is significantly more than the
>> time it takes to aim for the application indicator icon and click *once*. I
>> would say that the former case would result in slightly less than twice the
>> time, and approximately twice the effort taken compared to the latter case.
>>

> I don't fault your logic. But I can disagree with your taste. I think it
> would be crass if we encouraged every app indicator to have a secret
> bunch of behaviours associated with specific clicks. I know that opening
> up a possibility like this results in a mess - an unusuable mishmash of
> secrets.

... which is exactly what Conscious User and I said we were not proposing. We
were proposing that one action be specified by the application to
libappindicator to be the default. Then indicator-application (the applet)
decides how to activate this default action, which we proposed to be middle-click.

> We *will* have some hidden treasures, like the scrollwheel-on-volume.
> But they will be few and far between, and they will be on systemic
> indicators rather than app indicators, for the moment.

I don't hope to have any of the proposed features in Lucid -- FinalFreeze should
have activated by now, and UIFreeze long ago. These proposals are for Maverick,
and releases after it.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)