Re: [Ayatana] Middle-click on indicators

i tried out some ideas on my netbook, mouse connected.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 09:56, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We were proposing that one action be specified by the application to
libappindicator to be the default. Then indicator-application (the applet)
decides how to activate this default action, which we proposed to be middle-click.

while touchpad devices and touchscreen interfaces won't benefit easily of this, the typical desktop setup involving a mouse would profit generously, turning middle click into a veritable luxury in linux.

> We *will* have some hidden treasures, like the scrollwheel-on-volume.
> But they will be few and far between, and they will be on systemic
> indicators rather than app indicators, for the moment.

makes great sense.
and since middle click is not a hidden treasure, if consistently applied to all the monochrome icons on the right hand side of our top-panel, i tried dumb middle-clicking the icons with my pointer..
try this at home! :D

it felt like..
*volume indicator should "mute all" !
*messaging indicator should open "Contact List"
*NM applet could display "Connection Information"

i find the middle click idea quite luxurious and comfortable for a desktop user, not too hard to discover either.