Re: [Ayatana] Integrating Application Search & Install

On 26 April 2010 17:07, Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 16:27, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I visualize the window only appearing when someone starts
>> typing into the box and the results would filter down. When the user
>> clears the box (or presses enter to execute the top entry) the window
>> would disappear.
>
> how about offering repository stuff, when the user decides to
> specifically look for apps!?
> then one could bring in some Ubuntu Software Center code to install
> whatever the user found here..

The idea to integrate the Software Center directly is great!

That way it feels like having every app already on the computer
→ immense lowering of entry barrier and more discoverability.

> this FAsT (FAYT) search box will search not only apps but also places,
> files, eventually people..
> we should find it a pretty name, that will guide us in designing it ;)
>
> i suggest "find as you type.." for the moment :D

I suggest »Finder«. ;P

No really, the FAST way is great – but where do we draw the line
between Software Center search and places, files, people?

I think we should do it right the first time and make a global search
that integrates searching *everything* (of interest for you) on the
computer as well as stuff not yet on it – such as easily downloadable
apps in the Software Center.

Being able to install applications on the fly could be a game changer.