Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:18 +0200, Conscious User wrote:

> I'm not talking about selecting an item first and then initiating
> a drag. I'm talking about starting a drag *without wondering
> whether you will activate the link or not*.

Well, both opening of files or folder in Nautilus with
single-click-to-activate mode and following links in Firefox happen on
mouse-up. Thus a drag is guaranteed to be interpreted as drag.

> Wouldn't be a good compromise if files could be opened with a
> single click *if the file is already selected*? Think of it as
> a double click with *infinite time* allowed between the two
> clicks. That would, at the same time, avoid accidental opening,
> would not require speed and would allow alternative actions.

You would get rid of the pesky timing issue, but introduce state and
still require 2 clicks for the most common action (if opening is not the
most common action on files or folders, I would suggest something is
going wrong).

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: