Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

> like somebody said on the xdg list... exposing hierarchical
> filesystems in user space is the actual problem.
> in German we would now say "jetzt haben wir den salat", meaning we are
> now exposed to increased communication entropy within the UI ;)
>
> honestly, please name the use cases for file operations.
> i want to see thumbs for photos, not filenames.
> i want to read metadata (artist, album, title, artwork) for songs.
> other stuff should have titles or other forms of identification, not
> filenames.
> filenames are, nowadays, something to handle automagically; and with
> them the absolute path of the respective file.

Which, again, is another argument *against* single-click to open
rather than *for* it. If the usual way of dealing with files is
supposed to be *not* via a filebrowser, then it's reasonable to
assume that when using a filebrowser actions *other* than simple
opening will be frequent.

> about clicking problems with drag and drop:
> instead of complaining about how difficult drag operations will get
> when clicking gets easier, better think about how to make
> single-clicking more fault tolerant.

It's "better" if you accept that single-clicking is the best
solution, which is what I am questioning. Why should I shift
my focus on working around problems on a certain path, if I'm
yet not convinced that such path is the best one?