Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

On 21 May 2010 12:28, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Folks, I don't want to pour water on your flames but...
>
> We already have mechanisms for multiple selection, with dragging to
> lasso a set of icons, ctrl-click to select an arbitrary set, and
> shift-click to continue a selection along a list.

This was discussed in a previous message somewhere buried inside the
list. Lasso and ctrl/shift-click are not good gestures for selection
when single-click is the default mode, for several reasons:

- they are not discoverable,
- they are too complicated for selecting one single file (arguably the
more common action in Nautilus),
- and they don't work on touch-screens.