Re: [Ayatana] Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 01:11, Jan Claeys <lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I wouldn't even be sure if the browser shouldn't be considered a player
>> in this case, too. I guess a lot of people today use online sites
>> (Youtube etc.) as their primary source of audio and video, so they would
>> wonder why this is different from playing local media. But if you add
>> the browser, every silly website with audio would make your player stop,
>> because you cannot tell whether the user wanted this website to play
>> sounds or not.
>
> Browsers are a problem, as there is no way for them to indicate the
> intention (and if websites would be given a way to indicate their
> intention, it would be abused by spammers from day one).  I suppose the
> best solution is to have dedicated programs for streaming music that's
> supposed to be running in the background (this could be based on prism
> or similar for a quick solution!).

i strongly recommend looking back into Epiphany as a lightweight
default installation candidate..
Our problems with browser integration would disappear instantly, if we
focused this client.
Especially streaming music and video in the browser could be well
integrated into pulse that way.. like "click to open in totem" for
example, totem has a way with .flv that makes a lot of browser trouble
disappear in an instant..