Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

2010/5/23 Kristoffer Lundén <kristoffer.lunden@xxxxxxxxx>

The problem with all of those is that they are hard, and complicated. Lassoing is somewhat fine for files next to each other, but not for a distributed selection. For everything else, it becomes a two-hand operation and I need to keep track of CTRL and SHIFT properly or I mess it up.

As a single-clicker since quite a few years, this feature was absolutely fantastic the short while I had to use Vista at a previous work - it's really straightforward and easy to use, not to mention easy to understand. I would recommend everyone that has the option to try it out (don't know if it's in Win 7 as well) before dismissing it. It works really well in both icon and list view, and as a bonus, it works equally well in double click mode if that would stay the default.

/ Kristoffer

Maybe I should also mention that I raised the idea on the Nautilus mailing list back then, and while there was no big discussion, the answer was that it was a nice idea, but there was no developer time available to develop it. So it would probably be accepted upstream if implemented.

http://www.mail-archive.com/nautilus-list@xxxxxxxxx/msg04211.html

/ Kristoffer