Re: [Ayatana] How Mozilla does community-driven open source design

Hi Thorwil,

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 13:25, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 11:13 +0100, David Siegel wrote:

> Can anyone cite an example of a "unifying idea that can take away 10
> other ideas" from the Ayatana list, or are we generating "plenty of
> good ideas [that] don't work well together"?

The worst case is that 10 ideas go to waste for one.
The best case is that 1 idea unites 10 ideas and gives them true purpose for the first time.
In military we learn: ready yourself for the worst case, aim to achieve the best case results.

I understand that quote to likely refer to a situation, where you see
ideas for solving several problems that are actually symptoms of a
deeper issue. So one good idea leading to a solution of the deeper issue
renders them obsolete.

This is called a higher level solution.

That's why it's a good idea to start with (in no particular order):
 * Are you targeting the right problem?
 * Can the problem be avoided / worked-around?
 * Is it perhaps a symptom of an underlying issue?

"underlying" or higher level mean the same thing here, so i agree again ;)

Hmm, I have a hard time thinking of examples. I blame it on the hot
weather here. All my ideas there revolve around being lazy possible ...
I mean: as lazy as possible :}

bein lazy is the true secret, my math teacher always told me.
We want equations to be simple, as simple as possible, so that there is no redundancy in the formula. A large term containing redundant expressions should be reduced to its formal essence.
The best example for this is Google, who learn asymptotic analysis in MIT's algorithms class, then go on to make billions with that knowledge.
Theta notation and similar methods all base on being sloppy, lazy and allowing for a greater fault tolerance, in order to see a bigger picture more clearly.

remember: to see a bigger picture, you need to lean back and relax your iris :D

 > What can we learn from Mozilla's efforts in this arena?

Doing design challenges could be worth it.
http://design-challenge.mozillalabs.com/

good idea!