Re: [Ayatana] Lack of harmony between panel applets

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:15, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 28/06/10 08:53, Conscious User wrote:

>> In due course, similar capabilities will be added. But for the moment
>> it's minimalist.
>>
> Here's me hoping that those similar capabilities will be implemented
> in a neat d-bus service way which follows an app-independent protocol,
> thus closing one of the most common complaints against the current
> clock, which is being too tied to Evolution.

Agreed!

+1

now that someone said "Evolution", let me suggest something to make the indicators more harmonious ;)

Messaging Menu and MeMenu are struggling not to duplicate each other's work, both are looking to develop their respective individual identities.

I suggest, give them identities:
MeMenu stays responsible for Me-related stuff such as account settings that are tied to it, and it should handle instantly relevant stuff such as VoIP phone calls, Instant Chat Messaging and Presence.
Messaging Menu does all that has to do with non-instant messaging, such as broadcast, email and News. Especially the broadcast field from the MeMenu rather belongs to the Messaging Menu, if you ask me.

This way we would keep a clear line between the two menus, i would intuitively find what i'm looking for, since i know that one topic/category is covered in one menu, another topic/category is covered in the other menu. All i need to remember now is the indicator applet icon that stands for non-instant messaging, and the other one that stands for what would encompass the instant stuff..