Re: [Ayatana] CSD and the pressure to innovate

Hello,

Am 07.07.2010 04:52, schrieb Apoorva Sharma:
> Since tabs in firefox and nautilus are just ways of combining
> multiple windows into one, why not have the window manager handle
> tabs for all apps? Maybe apps like firefox or nautilus etc could tell
> the window manager that they want tabbed windows, and it could be
> done for them. This would make tabbed interfaces consistent and more
> easily read for integration with the taskbar (like win7).

How would you handle the advanced application-specific features related
to tabs? In Firefox for example, there are quite a few actions when you
right-click on the tab bar:
- reload tab
- make tab into a bookmark
- undo tab closing

Also there are a lot of extension that would not be possible to use
anymore. I use ChromaTabs (colors the background of the tab button in
the tab bar according to the favicon to make it easier to locate the
tab) and PermaTabs (prevents accidental closing of certain marked tabs).
And when you look on addons.mozilla.org for addons in the category tabs,
there are 433 of them. I doubt that it will be possible to implement
them if the window manager manages the tabs.

Greetings, Philipp