Re: [Ayatana] Places > People

that said:

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 20:06, David Hamm <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just playing, you guys really needs some killer touch book to go with this. Hardware hardware hardware. The interface looks good, great with touch, but please launch it with some good hardware. That will make all the difference. ns speech btw.

less is more, as we all know ;)

The "dash" as you spell it, is what exactly again?
Does "dash" mean another "Place" in Nautilus, where my contacts will be listed and searchable?

I think that would be great, we've seen a mockup for an "Applications Place" already, why not one for "Contacts" (or "Contact") also!?
My argument was solely that the fast interaction path to this should be accessible through an Ayatana Indicator for Contact, since we want to contact people or organizations much of the time, and it would be a shame not to have a fast path to doing this via an indicator or something equivalently fast.

Opening a full fledged window might be valid for operations like contact editing or management, grouping, synchronizing and sorting...
For fast access, i would prefer a Contact menu that behaves just like an indicator menu:
* appears (i.e. drops down)
* shows a list of activity-essential items (Me, my Contacts, a link to the "dash")

The use case would be something like:

Deborah wants to call her assistant Mike via VoIP.
Mike is pinned to her list of usual Contacts that always shows in the Contact menu.
Deborah opens the category indicator for [social messaging] and moves the mouse onto the voice call graphic next to Mike's name in the menu.
A call is mediated between the two of them, as she clicks, and the menu vanishes, giving way to a voice call window.