Re: [Ayatana] Better use of backlight in Unity launcher

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 18:58, Mark Curtis <merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm sorry, when I said "it" I meant Unity's current implementation of always have the background color, not Windows 7's implementation.
Currently Unity is a clear case of copying the what (the background color is the icons' background color) without copying the why (do so to tell the user which application is running)

> From: zekopeko@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:51:49 +0100

> Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Better use of backlight in Unity launcher
> To: merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx

> CC: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Mark Curtis <merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Because it doesn't add anything to usability.
>
> I don't agree. Windows 7 makes it very clear what applications are
> running and which ones are not. It also makes it clear which ones have
> multiple windows, which ones have running task etc.
>
> Currently the backlight reduces usability because it colors all the
> icons so the only way to know if applications are running are tiny
> triangles.
>
> > I do understand what you're saying about the color clashing, maybe if we go
> > with the green/blue/red thing they may have to be muted colors.

If we'd start by removing the backgrounds from Trash and Workspace Switcher, we'd probably hint ourselves into the right direction here.
Also, the Workspace Switcher so wants to be on top, at the opposite end from where the Trash currently is.

These might be unrelated at first glance, but if i think deeper, i come to realize that cleaning up the Dock reveals the true nature of what needs to be done here, and what is superfluent.
Actually, i can't wait to see the Unity dock sith ALL its launchers, not having backgrounds.. or, alternatively, with transparent colorless backgrounds, which would be more consistent.
The thing that annoys me the most about the Unity dock is that all these colors are getting on my nerves.
The other thing is that it disappears too quickly, but that's really OT ;)