Re: [Ayatana] No one will ever use the upper-left Ubuntu button

Okay, here's another twist on the idea.

So, same as before, a 2-sided dock with apps on one side, "functions" (places, workspaces, dash-lenses) on the other. But now break the dock in two pieces and have a static, non-flipping part at the bottom to house often-used "functions" (only "functions" here). You would be able to choose which "functions" from the other side of the dock to move to the non-flippy part, so that they are always accessible. It's like "function" bookmarks.

So on a device with a lot of vertical real-estate, like a desktop, maybe I would want workspaces, apps place, files place, and trash place on the static dock, leaving the other "functions" on the other side of the 2-sided dock.

Maybe for a netbook, would want nothing in the static-dock, leaving only the 2-sided doc.

Maybe for a tablet device, would want only the workspaces button in the static dock (as pictured in the attached image).

But those are just my preferences for each device. The key is, you could choose which "functions" to pin to the static-dock, to make them always accessible.

Notice this still keeps "functions" and applications completely separate, but allows a lot more flexibility and quicker access.

See the accompanying image if I've failed to make myself clear!

Marc Lajoie