Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: Re: Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

"""Maximized windows need no titlebar across the full screen edge. See
Photoshop, Office, Firefox, Chrome (on Windows)."""

But the difference is that all of those applications have title bars. The only difference is that they have stuff in them. Firefox and Chrome have tabs there. Office has icons, and Photoshop has a menu.

Wait a minute, they're putting a menu in the titlebar. I feel like I've seen that somewhere before...

Getting rid of the title bar on maximised windows means that applications have to implement their own window management, like Chrome without native title bars in Ubuntu. What happens if an an application doesn't do this? The window is maximised, and the user has no way to restore it, as the window controls provided by the WM are gone (with the title bar), and it hasn't implemented it's own version. This means that this application simply doesn't work in Ubuntu. That's a huge limiting factor.

Instead of removing the title bar, give an application more control over what gets put in the menu bar. instead of having only textual menus, allow icons (in the Office example) or tabs (for the browsers) as well. Then, allow these elements to be integrated into Unity's existing Top Panel and Global menu. Then make sure that whatever is shown in the menu, it's shown all the time, without waiting for a hover event.

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 17:41, Ed Lin <edlin280@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:15 AM, ello <tenniswithshovels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But don't all designers take into account the title bar of the window?
> Don't all the features you talk about appear under it?  Since, when
> maximised, the panel is the title bar, I don't see how this is a
> concern.  Have I missed something?

Yes, it's not flexible. It can only do text menus. Menus which never
are that fast to begin with because at the very least require two
clicks (or my "drag click"). It can't do toolbar icons or tabs nor can
it handle two apps tiled side by side.