mugle-dev team mailing list archive

Static methods with 'synchronized'

Hi Prageeth,

You added the 'synchronized' keyword to a bunch of static methods
(e.g., in data-wrapper
r57<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Emugle-dev/mugle/data-wrapper/revision/57>).
I'm just wondering what the purpose of this was.

I haven't ever used this keyword before, so forgive me if I misunderstood
something. I just read the documentation earlier. It seems that if you add
it to a static method, it will lock the class whenever any synchronized
static method is called, which means it is not possible for any two threads
to be executing any code in any synchronized static method at the same time.
That doesn't seem necessary given that the class has no static data. Is
there a reason for doing this?

Matt

Follow ups