mugle-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Proper revision control practices

> Now that the database wrappers are available ill start implementing
> the respective platform classes/services.
> My initial plan wouldve just have been to commit each set of platform
> classes for a page in turn, but im thinking now that this should
> perhaps be in a trunk of its own

A *branch* of its own

, since itll be an equally large set
> of changes.

But can you commit each one without breaking other things? I think the
reason Prageeth is working in a branch is because he couldn't otherwise
commit it until the whole thing was done, or it would've broken the whole
build.

What would be the most appropriate action here; make them
> part of Prageeth's branch or make my own branch off Prageeth's branch?

It's usually not good form to work in somebody else's branch, because that
is a space where they need to feel comfortable making changes without having
other people depend on them (so perhaps you would usually put the branch
under your own name; I just helped him do it so I put it under ~mugle-dev).
If you are going to work on this before Prageeth merges his branch, you
should probably make a branch off his branch. When he merges his branch, you
can adjust yours to point to trunk and keep working.

You should by now have a MUGLE directory which is *not* a bazaar directory.
Inside it should be the "trunk" directory containing the bzr checkout (you
may have called this "mugle"; I recommend you rename it to "trunk" if you
are using multiple branches to avoid confusion; renaming bzr branches does
not break them).

Now from your top-level directory, write:

$ bzr branch lp:~mugle-dev/mugle/data-wrapper platform
(assuming your branch is called platform)
$ cd platform
$ bzr push lp:~mugle-dev/mugle/platform
$ bzr bind

The push step pushes the branch up to Launchpad in public. You can choose to
either push it to ~mugle-dev, where it will be modifiable by everybody, or
to ~sritchie, where only you will be able to modify it. You can name the
branch whatever you want.