Re: MT Architecture: First Draft

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 12:35 -0600, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> I've attached a PDF version of what was whiteboarded at UDS by Neil
> Patel and David Barth for Mark. Rafi will be updating the document
> shortly with recommendations.
>
> Once we've fine-tuned the overall architecture, I'm aiming to generate
> work items this week for each of the components we need to build/
> modify. We haven't hired technical folks to own these components yet,
> but many of you have expertise in these areas, and I'm depending upon
> your input to define this cycle's work :-)

I'm still learning as I go, but this seems like the best approach in my
mind.

One side note: After some more code digging, I realized that there are
some drivers that reside directly inside of X. Most of these drivers
talk directly to the hardware over the standard serial port, so they
bypass the kernel and EVDEV layer altogether. As far as I know, none of
them support multitouch; however, the serial port (as opposed to
bluetooth or usb) wacom driver is in X, and new wacom serial devices are
multitouch. If we want to enable them, we may have to reinvent the wheel
inside the kernel to export them through EVDEV. I *think* this would be
a good thing overall, and no one upstream said the contrary when I asked
whether the way forward for multitouch was through the kernel and evdev.

The above is just a general area to watch. I have in my hand one such
machine with a wacom serial touchpad, so devices are out there.

-- Chase