Re: Touchscreen software

On 08/19/2010 07:49 PM, Gene Mosher wrote:
> Hi, Duncan.

Hi Gene!

Thanks for your email! I'm cleaning out my inbox, and in the rush of
last week's announcement, am discovering mails that I hadn't seen, so
apologies for the late reply :-)

> I've been using touchscreens for almost 30 years.

That's a bit of an understatement, isn't it? ;-) You invented of the
point of sale touchscreen! (Unless I have the wrong Gene Mosher in mind...)

> Does your team's touchscreen code differentiate between a mouse click
> versus a touch on any given graphical pixel?  I hope so.  Thanks.
>
> Gene Mosher
> ViewTouch

For our release in October, we had to make some sacrifices due to the
limited time we had available to us. One of the decisions we made was to
re-use the single-click from X for the single-touch tap "gesture".

However, now that we are using this with other applications, we're
starting to discover use cases where we'd like to intercept even single
taps and do some pre-processing. That's impossible right now, but we're
exploring ways in which we could make this work in our next release
cycle (in 6 months). The simultaneous support of mouse clicks makes this
a little bit tricky.

That being said, we'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter, as that
would provide much deeper insight that we could integrate into our
discussions. Feel free to reply-all; I've cc'ed our MT mail list and
will approve your email (as a non-subscriber, it will get queued for
moderation).

Thanks again,