Re: Trouble getting started with Multitouch testing - Apple Magic Trackpad

On 09/02/2010 09:43 PM, Patrick Archibald wrote:
> Hello
>
> Where should I go for help with multi-touch testing?
>
> I have the following:
>
>     * Apple Magic Trackpad - paired OK
>     * Dell XPS M140
>     * Ubuntu 10.10 beta
>     * Installed utouch package
>     * magicmouse-kernel-source package is installed
>     * Created a profile on Ubuntu Testing Tracker
>     * Installed python-pymt package
>
> This command, *sudo evtest /dev/input/event10,* appears to show the
> Magic Trackpad but I don't see any activity when running my fingers
> across the pad.
>
> This command, *sudo lsinput*,  returns: "/dev/input/event0 protocol
> version mismatch (expected 65536, got 65537)". Not sure what that is about.
>
> I've logged in a couple of times to  #ubuntu-touch on irc.freenode.net
> <http://irc.freenode.net> but no one is active when I am. I'm on the
> east coast of USA. I usually have time to test around 6PM EST.
> *
> *
> I've also dented a few times on Identi.ca with tag #utouch.
>
> Can y'all point me in the right direction to get me started testing
> utouch?

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to share your difficulties - it helps
highlight where we need to improve such docs to make them easier to follow.

AFAIK the magimouse-kernel-source package is only for the Magic Mouse. I
believe that's why you see those errors.

The instructions we have for testing multi-touch with the Magic Trackpad
in Maverick are here, step by step:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/AppleMagicTrackpad

They are dense and branch into different pages, I've tested them in a
clean Maverick nightly as of last Thursday. I am rebuilding a clean box
with this very same setup again every few days to make sure any updates
are reflected in that wiki.

I am not aroun after 6PM EST but I'd guess you need to actively ping
someone in order to get help. Today by that time if there are any parts
missing or that need newer information you will have it.

Right now the only visible test I've done is using the PyMT examples,
which is documented here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/PyMT

I am told (and have seen) UI multitouch works *only after installing the
ubuntu-netbook package* so I am documenting that too.

Cheers,

- --
Fabian Rodriguez, Ubuntu Systems Senior Support Analyst
Ubuntu Certified Instructor ~ LPIC-1 / UCP
Canonical Corporate Services, Montreal, QC, Canada
http://landscape.canonical.com