Re: Unity Gesture UI Guidelines 0.2 now available http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfkkjjcj_1482g457bcc7

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for your email, my responses are below:

On 06/09/10 02:01, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for the document John,
I want to ask about the "Touchpoint menus" (6.1).
These menus are raised after a one finger hold, are they special menus
different from standard ones ?

Yes there are differences between touchpoint and right-click menus. Specifically these differences are:

- Touchpoint menus will have a different visual appearance and layout.
- Initially touchpoint menus will only be one level deep, they will not support sub-menus. However we may add a single extra level of navigation in the future. - The options in a touchpoint menus will normally be a subset of the right-click menu options at the same location. - When selecting areas, touchpoint menus lock on to the select pegs and move when the pegs are moved.

What about the direct implementation of right-mouse-click after the
single-finger-hold to show usual right-mouse-click menus ?

The right click menus are sub-optimal for touch interaction. Touch point menus solve several of the problems with right click menuse in a finger touch environment including; items being obscured by the user's hand, insufficient spacing, difficulty navigating sub menus both in terms of precision and the finger covering menu items, touch targets being insufficiently visual defined etc...

In terms of layout touch menus really need to be either horizontal or pie (we have opted for horizontal).

Adding touchpoint menus is also a good opportunity to rationalize menu options and simplify the user interface.

The same is also for pen devices hold. Pen devices are read as an
independent device, but I think they also should have the standard
right-menus-click after a hold.

Ahhh... ;-) Pen input is quite different from finger input because pens have a much higher level of precision and because the pen obscures less of the screen. But lucky the Wacom pens have a rocker button that is mapped to the left and right mouse button inputs. However we do need to know when a input is coming from a pen as opposed to a finger because in some cases we will want different behaviors.

If the reason behind touchpoint menus is to create big items finger
can touch them with easy distinction, we may consider the solution of
using the standard menus but adding a local zoom in a similar way like
here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv4yrZT8-Dk

Unfortunately when using finger touch input we do not have a mouseover state. We don't know where a user's fingers are positioned relative to the screen until the finger(s) make contact with the screen surface. For example a user may perform a single finger hold-release to bring up a touchpoint menu, and then tap the item they wish to select. We have no idea of the position of the users fingers between these two actions, and therefor have no means of expanding menu items underneath the raised location of the finger.

However there are lots of reasons right click menus don't really work in a finger touch environment and when we solve all the problems we end up with something that looks like the touchpoint menus. Perhaps in the long term future we could look into replacing the right click menus with the touchpoint menus?? Although right click menus don't work well with finger touch, touchpoint menus do work with mouse interaction.

I hope that helps.

cheers,
John

--