Re: A touch-enabled game for Natty?

On 12/21/2010 11:09 AM, Chase Douglas wrote:
On 12/19/2010 11:40 AM, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
Sorry for taking so long to reply to what is obviously a great opportunity - it took a bit to get things sorted on our side. I now have commitments from the people responsible for five of the six games to update the code so it works with curent Ubuntu, and they're all very excited ;-). The games have been written with a fixed resolution in mind, one of them has non-redistributable media, etc., and we'll fix these things.

I also have a load of questions - maybe we can get some support for the stuff below. Also, I have no idea how Ubuntu development is organized, so please tell me what steps we need to take to get this to work :-).

1) Timeframe:
When do things have to be finished? The current plan is to get everything to run on our side in January, with packaging left after that. Any ideas for a more concrete plan?
In the past, things needed to be in Ubuntu before RC freeze for the
release. Now, we have a process for adding packages after the release. I
don't know the details of this process, but others may.
While there's now an ability to add packages after the release, I think we should only use that if we're unable to hit the official timeframes documented here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyReleaseSchedule which will help ensure greater involvement, testing, and publicity around this.

Randy

2) libavg changes:
- I'll be working to get libavg, the library these games are based on, to run with whatever multitouch API will be available in 11.04. We have a working driver for libmtdev - will that suffice? Other options seem to be the kernel slot API and XInput. What's the state of XInput multitouch?
If you want raw MT events, I would suggest following the XInput 2.1
development. We will be providing a pre-release version of XInput 2.1 in
Ubuntu 11.04, and it will likely be available in Natty shortly after the
holidays.

Please see http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/XDevelopment for
instructions on how to install current test packages for XInput 2.1.

Note that the interface is not stable yet, though it's pretty well
settled outside of X MT grab semantics.

- The current libavg Ubuntu package is orphaned. I'll make a release in January - can someone assist us in getting the Ubuntu package updated? I don't think this is a lot of work, but no one here has any experience in that area.
I'm sure we can help :). Let us know what you need.

3) Tests:
We'll have some multitouch hardware here, but not enough to really make sure nothing breaks. Is there a way to get things tested on a diverse set of hardware?
We're working on some test frameworks, but I'm not sure how well they
would fit with what you are aiming to do. Can you provide more details
on what you need?

Thanks!

-- Chase