Re: Multitouch Games Update

On 02/02/2011 12:20 PM, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2011, at 4:05 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
>> On 01/30/2011 05:07 PM, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
>>> Anyway, our next steps are:
>>> - Get the rest of the games packaged. I don't expect big issues here anymore.
>>> - Get XInput to work.
>>>
>>> Anything we're missing? How/when do we trigger the process of moving the packages from the ppa to Ubuntu proper?
>>
>> When you are ready to do so, we'll review your debian packaging to
>> ensure it looks right. Once all the fixes are made for the packaging,
>> we'll upload the packages for you.
>
> Actually, we're at a point now where we _think_ the packages are ok. We currently have a package for the base library (python-libavg) and a game package (empcommand). Since we'll be basing the packages for the rest of  the games on the game package we already have, a short review of the current packages would be great.

I imported the package into a bzr repo, made some changes, and pushed it
to lp:~chasedouglas/utouch/empcommand-packaging. Please review the
changes. There may also be issues with python-specific packaging, but
I'm not a python guy so you'll need to find someone else to review it.
Here are a few comments:

* Overall, I'd suggest moving to bzr and hosting on launchpad. It's
certainly your choice where you host things, but I think you would find
launchpad helpful for handling source code and bugs. Launchpad can even
do the import from your svn repo for you :).
* I see you added a man page to your packaging, probably at the prodding
of lintian :). I suggest moving the man page into your source tree
itself and then installing the man page from there instead. That way
other distros have access to the man page too.
* As you make revisions to the package, I suggest following what I've
done here:
  1. Make a change
  2. Run 'dch -i' to increment the changelog to a new version. Ensure
     the distribution is set to 'UNRELEASED'. Add an entry for the
     change.
  3. Commit the change and the new changelog to the source code repo by
     running 'debcommit'
--- Loop over 4 and 5 as many times as necessary
  4. Make another change
  5. Run 'dch' to add a new changelog entry
---

When you are ready to push to a ppa, append ~ppa# (1,2,3,4, etc.) to the
package version (but don't commit this to the source code repository).
As an example, package_1.0-0ubuntu1~ppa1 will sort lower than
package_1.0-0ubuntu1, so when the real package is released to the Ubuntu
archive everyone who has been using the ppa1 version will be upgrade
automatically.

When you are ready to push to the Ubuntu archive, create a release:
  1. Run 'dch -r'
  2. Run 'debcommit -r' (this will commit and tag the repository)

That's all I have for now. For further packaging help, I suggest
emailing the ubuntu developers mailing list.

Thanks,

-- Chase