Re: ginn and window recognition (was: Re: If you did not already know...)

Hi Pascal,

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 14:54 +0000, Pascal Giard wrote:
> Hi guys/list,
>  as mentioned on IRC yesterday evening, building libbamf in Debian
> unstable is currently a lot of pain because of its dependencies.

Could I ask which dependencies are causing the most trouble?

> I've expressed my intention of modifying ginn to use libX11 instead.
> And I've done so. However, it still needs to be cleaned up before I
> share it (with someone else than Mohamed).
>
> I realize my version may not be very useful to Ubuntu users, but it
> may very well be for Debian adventurers not willing to wait for
> libbamf's dependencies or not willing to patch/build them themselves.

The problem is that you'll miss out on all the advanced matching BAMF
does, so if we can figure out how to get it to build, that would be
good :)

> On a final note, I was wondering why ginn was not using libX11 in the
> first place.
> Is it "only" because some applications are not "good citizens" and do
> not set their WMCLASS property correctly or there is something else?

That, as well as applications that are run via scripts and anything that
is launched in a non-standard way. BAMF has the cleanest solution to
handling all these cases as well as the primary case that uses GIO.

I've CC'd Jason who is BAMFs author and maintainer, and can help answer
questions about the deps.

Thanks,

--
Neil Jagdish Patel | Technical Lead