Re: tablets and auto-rotation

Thanks Duncan for getting this subject again.

Many tablet-pc sends specific input events (WMI) when they are in tablet
mode.
(I don't know if there one which send other types of events)

This is the case of my HP TX2:

$ sudo evtest event23
Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "HP WMI hotkeys"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (Sync)
  Event type 1 (Key)
    Event code 138 (Help)
    Event code 148 (Prog1)
    Event code 153 (Direction)
    Event code 224 (Brightness down)
    Event code 225 (Brightness up)
    Event code 226 (Media)
    Event code 358 (Info)
  Event type 5 (?)
    Event code 1 (?)
    Event code 5 (?)
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Event: time 1298489895.245112, type 5 (?), code 1 (?), value 1
Event: time 1298489895.245141, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1298489897.967856, type 5 (?), code 1 (?), value 0
Event: time 1298489897.967865, -------------- Report Sync ------------

These are events for Tablet-Mode-On then Tablet-Mode-Off.
These are sent from the kernel but I think X doesn't have a way to handle
them.
I remember there was a discussion between Rafi and Peter Hutterer in
xorg-devel on adding their support.
I have also made some tries searching for a solution for this problem.

I think the best way to collect most of problems and ideas for solutions is
to create a wiki about it and putting all information we have in one place.

Duncan, what's the best place for that page in the ubuntu wiki ?