Re: GISpL: a (very rough) gesture language specification

Hello Hendrik,

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 20:43 +0100, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> This looks very interesting indeed! And timely too, as there should be
> ample opportunity to test these ideas out in the coming six
> months. Here are some comments and further ideas:
> Regions - there may also be a need to specify the reverse - areas
> where gestures are not recognized. Typical example would be a canvas
> with icons on it.
If I understand your example correctly, this can already be represented
by layering smaller regions (for the icons) containing no gestures on
top of the larger canvas region. Regions are managed as an ordered list;
I'll clarify that in the spec.

> Features - I suppose those are restricted to temporal changes, in
> addition to static features of the contact set. I take it you mean to
> specify this set further, based on 2D and/or 3D projections?
Yes, correct; I have about 10 different features implemented right now
which can be fine-tuned using constraint values.

> Gesture - I have found it useful to organize gestures into
> hierarchies, such that some gestures may hold or cancel other
> gestures. A way to specify such relations in the language might be
> useful.
I was mostly thinking about putting such behaviors directly into the
application - I'll think about how this might be represented.

> And there is the question of state. Part of the ideas floating around
> here are based on gestural modifications of a state. Understanding and
> specifying the rules for state transitions might be very powerful in
> practise.
Do you mean state in the formal sense of a deterministic finite
automaton?

Florian
--
SENT FROM MY DEC VT50 TERMINAL