Re: Ubuntu Multitouch Kernel Driver Development - Details and testing

On 11/09/2011 04:21 AM, Nuno Santos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a linux kernel driver for a multitouch device. I have
> used as start point the usbtouchscreen driver included in linux-3.0
> kernel source.

Hi Nuno,

I'm delighted to see people writing multitouch drivers!

However, this list isn't the best place to ask questions about how to
write multitouch drivers. Instead, I would send any questions about
writing the driver to the linux-input mailing list:

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-input

> Altough I can already make my mouse pointer move with touch there still
> a lot of questions that still arise:
>
> - When properly configured will xinput list my device as mulitouch
> device ou touchscreen? The only thing I got so far was listed in Virtual
> Core Pointer category

It should list your device, and it should be attached to the Virtual
Core Pointer. You can list even more properties of the device by running:

xinput list <device number or name>

This should tell you if it's a multitouch device.

[snip]

> - How can I test user side multitouch input? I'm trying to see if xinput
> lists my device as a multitouch device. No success. I'm also trying an
> example from qt4-demos, finger paint which always gives me nothing. Is
> there any "oficial" tool for ubuntu multitouch input testing?

The qt4 fingerpaint application is the best tool for quickly testing
multitouch input because it shows what the device is emitting in a
graphical way.

You should also be able to use xinput test-xi2, but it might be broken
at the moment.

Thanks!

-- Chase