Re: Ubuntu Multitouch Kernel Driver Development - Details and testing

Hi Chase,

Thanks for your reply.

I will post driver questions to the list you pointed me from now on.

On 11/09/2011 05:27 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
It should list your device, and it should be attached to the Virtual
Core Pointer. You can list even more properties of the device by running:

xinput list<device number or name>

This should tell you if it's a multitouch device.
This is what I get from xinput list command

nsantos@NS-PC:~/workspaces/workspace-mtt/linux-kernel-driver$ xinput -list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Microsoft Natural® Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Logitech Trackball id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ DISPLAX - Interactive Systems SKIN MULTITOUCH id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Microsoft Natural® Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]

As you can see (my device is Displax - Interactive ... ) there is no such reference to multitouch device, only the name which comes from device strings.

 - How can I test user side multitouch input? I'm trying to see if xinput
 lists my device as a multitouch device. No success. I'm also trying an
 example from qt4-demos, finger paint which always gives me nothing. Is
 there any "oficial" tool for ubuntu multitouch input testing?

The qt4 fingerpaint application is the best tool for quickly testing
multitouch input because it shows what the device is emitting in a
graphical way.

You should also be able to use xinput test-xi2, but it might be broken
at the moment.

Yeah, but fingerpaint is not giving any signal of life. As I could infer from questions in qt community there isnt official support for xinput 2.1 yet. only a branch is capable of that and it's still not merged in the tree. next thing I will do is to try that branch.

In the mean while I found evtest and this is what it tells about my device with the current settings i'm giving to it:

Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0x226e product 0x1 version 0x100
Input device name: "DISPLAX - Interactive Systems SKIN MULTITOUCH"
Supported events:
Event type 0 (Sync)
Event type 1 (Key)
Event code 330 (Touch)
Event type 3 (Absolute)
Event code 0 (X)
Value 454
Min 0
Max 6300
Event code 1 (Y)
Value 2108
Min 0
Max 6300
Event code 47 (Slot)
Value 0
Min 0
Max 5
Event code 48 (Touch Major)
Value 0
Min 0
Max 255
Event code 53 (Position X)
Value 0
Min 0
Max 6300
Event code 54 (Position Y)
Value 0
Min 0
Max 6300
Event code 57 (Tracking ID)
Value 0
Min 0
Max 65535

Do you seen anything wrong in this report?

Thanks,

Nuno