mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: Repository for Lua scripts - looking for ideas

Hi!

On Mar 16, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Jan Kneschke wrote:

Diego Medina wrote:
[cut]
So, what do you think?
I definately like the idea of having an 'official' script repo.

There are some scripts at http://forge.mysql.com/search.php?k=mysql+proxy
that might be useful to include/port into any new repository.

Absolutely, we could take those as well. We know of a handful of
changes that broke some of those scripts, and having a repository
would make it much easier to keep up-to-date

The repo should have a test-suite for the scripts same as we have it for
the proxy provides scripts too.

+1

So, who's volunteering to do the initial setup of the repo?

My intention for this was to be community driven rather than be operated by Sun/MySQL, since the entire point of the script repo is to have peer-reviewed scripts which do not need to be part of the main distribution.

This would mean:
1) Create a Launchpad project
2) Create a developer team owning the project and branch
2a) I think the dev team should be "moderated" like the drizzle- developers team is, so it's clear who can merge proposals into the mainline. Not everyone needs to be an admin of that team, but there should be at least a couple of people sharing the work, IMHO. 3) Optionally create a mailing list, though we could simply use this one since the overlap between them would probably be very high 4) Tell people about it (where to get stuff, where to join, etc) on this list, do blog posts etc.

We should probably think a bit about legal stuff, e.g. what licenses do we accept for the scripts etc. I'd propose to stick to GPLv2 and compatible licenses, to make our lives easier (and to be in line with MySQL Proxy itself).

cheers,
-k
--
Kay Roepke
Software Engineer, MySQL Enterprise Tools

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Sonnenallee 1, DE-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Vorsitz d. Aufs.rat.: Martin Haering                    HRB MUC 161028